Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Entry Level Social Media Jobs

Google+ is taking over! When I am planning a night out, I often research and Google to make sure I know where I am going, and see if there are any reviews. Google is linking everything. A few months ago, I Googled for directions to this grocery store. I noticed that someone tagged them with the comment to instruct people to shop at the store next to theirs. I posted about this on Google+ and tagged King Kullen. I never received a reply from them, AND they never took it down.

Companies are SO FACEBOOK TRAPPED, and are missing the entire Google+ ship!

What other things are companies missing?
How about the point, that when anyone who is following me does a Google search and it is something I have posted about, my post comes up towards the top of their search. That is 15,000 people who want to know my opinion first. That is pretty amazing.

I love it, because the people I circle have posts of information that are far more relevant to me, than the usual Google search results.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR JOB SEEKERS
If you are serious about breaking into the pool for paid social media positions, you need to start building your resume now. A few tips:

1 - Check your profile, and make sure it is acceptable for an employer to creep. Typos are not a big deal. What is a big deal . . . the temperament in your posts. Remember these people dropping in to see your profile do not know "who you are." Employers are looking to see if you are real, honest, down to earth, fold well in to the company culture and identity.

2 - The smaller your following, the more important each person is. If you have a following of less than 300 people, you need to look through them to be sure that they all accurately reflect you. A following of 300 is easy for a recruiter to creep.

3 - Create a Google+ Page for your business! If you don't have a business, create one for a hobby or philanthropy. Grow your page, and grow your resume at the same time. Once again, keep in mind that your page should be employer appropriate. If you live in Colorado, a page for medical marijuana use is completely acceptable. However, same page based out of New Jersey may not be looked at so favorably.

4 - Create a Google+ Community, or Moderate in a reputable one. There are already paid community moderators on G+, but they are kept secret. People don't want other people to know what they are paying for. I have been ghost writing for years. This means, people pay me to write something for them, and never get credit for it. They get to use my work as their own. The ghost writers are coming to social networks. They are building followings and then NOT DISCLOSING when they are paid for their comments etc. We just have to accept that this IS PART of the culture.

5 - Create a BLOG and learn how to publish your BLOG to your Google+ Page.

6 - Extra credit . . . create a YouTube channel and learn how to navigate it.

FINAL THOUGHTS
You are already ahead of the pack. You are on Google+ learning this social platform at your own pace. Every time you see a website, or company promoting to LIKE them on FB or FOLLOW them on Twitter, or Pintrest, or Instragram . . . and G+ is missing . . .you know . . . there is an opportunity for you! You are in the KNOW! I am here to happily assist any of you as you peruse a career in social media and hope you call upon me if you need any help :)

MTFBWU





No comments:

Post a Comment